Friday 22 May 2009

Damn, I'm Missing the Indy 500!

I saw a lot of Facebook status updates (seven in the last hour) celebrating Carburetion Day specifically and race weekend generally. That made me think of the roar of cars at O'Reilly Raceway Park, the mass of humanity at 16th and Georgetown, the cheers of fans as the 33 racers cross the start line, the screams of the same fans when the winner crosses the finish line. I've only been to the race in the past three years, but after living a mile from the race park for my whole life and going to high school in the middle of everything race-related, May has come to mean frantic excitement. (And a bit of hillbillyism, but then again, doesn't everyone have a little bit of backwater in him?)

This May has meant frantic excitement, too, but in an oh-my-God-I'm-in-London! sense, not in an oh-my-God-cars-are-gonna-crash-into-each-other-at-225-miles-per-hour! sense. It's still excitement, but nevertheless I have this feeling that I'm missing out on something. I've experienced it all my life, but missing it once makes me love it and want it even more. Next year I'll hopefully be able to experience that brand of eye-popping awesomeness again, and I'll appreciate it more than ever.

Have fun at Carb Day and the race, all you Indy people! And for those who don't get to feel the thrill of the month of May, I have one thing to say: You are deprived and unfortunate people. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Except London. Or anything overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment