Wednesday 24 June 2009

I'm a College Student, Get Me Out of Debt!

(Okay, I'm not in debt. Play along.)

So, I was cruising around my blog today, wondering whether I should shake up the design, change some colors, add a graphic, or put the font in Comic Sans (kidding!), when I came upon an interesting Blogspot gadget: AdSense. It's a program that allows Google to post ads on your blog that match the content. For example, if I were to put an AdSense space on my "art apology" post, Google would put and ad or two there about the Tate Modern, maybe, or enrolment at an art school. If I were to do the same on my incident in the Tube, Google might feature an ad for Crest or Colgate. ( :P ) Once I built up a certain number of clicks or impressions, Google would send me money for the ad revenue. Hear that? Money!

Now, of course there are dangers in this. I'd be giving my monetary info to Google, albeit mostly securely; and given my limited audience, I might not reach the necessary-for-payment $100 threshold until I graduate from college. (I like to think that tons of people read this blog, but let's face it: it's a personal travel blog, pandering to family comforts and inside jokes. It doesn't have THAT MUCH broad appeal.) (Unless I get famous. Then it could be a wonderful case study for future historians. But again, I'm a dreamer.) There's also the issue of clutter, but as long as I only put the ads in the sidebar or at the bottom of the page, everything should be fine.

I now extend the question to all you guys. Should I put ads on my blog? It'll help me regain the money I've spent on public transit, souvenirs, and (with care) drinks. Those who vote or comment on the question get a free postcard! (It'll just be a postcard, though; I can't afford to buy the stamps. They have cool pictures!) Polling and discussion close at 1 a.m. Friday morning London time (8 p.m. Thursday evening Eastern Daylight Time).

No comments:

Post a Comment